[mythtv-users] Tuning Woes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 15 20:09:32 EST 2005

Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> Yeah, I'm also trying to update the firmware, but I think I'll try
> that again after I do the hard disk replacement

Try the cable first.  It's a cheaper fix.  I was helping a friend with a
bad disk in an LVM vol group and we figured out that the disk must be
bad because the BIOS couldn't even recognize it.  The system was running
and writing LiveTV data and then just powered off.  When he powered on,
the disk wasn't recognized.

After he bought a new 300GB disk and plugged it in to the existing
cable, the BIOS wouldn't recognize the new drive.  So, I made him swap
the cables and the new disk worked--at which point we plugged the new
cable in to the old disk and it (and the vol group) worked.  His (then)
$150 replacement IDE cable was an expensive fix (but on the bright side,
it came with a free 300GB disk we used to replace an 80GB disk in the
vol group.

> (the perl script for  updating the firmware seems to be on the fritz
> too, so I'm guessing  something in the whole ivtv package was corrupted).

So, it might actually be the disk issue causing the tuner issue...
Fingers crossed that the disk issue is easy to fix...

> Perhaps I should  look into using an earlier KnoppMyth package too.

I recommend using R5A26.  R5A22 was an accidental unstable version
release.  Before that had old versions of ivtv, which may make
configuration much harder.

Mike