[mythtv-users] Tuning Woes

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Wed Dec 14 22:20:30 EST 2005

On Dec 14, 2005, at 19.28, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>
>> On Dec 13, 2005, at 20.58, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>>>
> [snip]
> You can breathe a sigh of relief.  You have a known tuner type (as
> a matter of fact that's one for which I made a definition after
> someone found me a datasheet :).
Oh, whew.

>> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
>
> This is (most likely) completely unrelated to your current problem,
> but it is likely to be your next (much worse) problem if you don't
> get it fixed soon...  The kernel is detecting corruption of data
> somewhere between memory and the hard drive, so you shouldn't trust
> the system to reliably store any data until you get it fixed.
> Often, it's a problem with a bad IDE cable, but can be more
> insidious (i.e. heat issues or a buggy chipset on the motherboard
> without a proper workaround in the Linux IDE driver).  I would
> recommend you focus on this error before the tuning error
> (otherwise--just when you finish configuring your Myth system--you
> may find your filesystem has become so corrupt you have to start
> over).
>
> It's theoretically possible that the data corruption may have
> affected a file that's required for the ivtv drivers or the ivtv
> firmware itself, but I wouldn't chalk it up to that just yet.
>
> Google for:
>
> +"DriveReady SeekComplete Error" +"DriveStatusError BadCRC"
>
> (quotes and pluses included)
Oh wow, I can't believe I missed that. I'll try replacing the hard
disk, see if that helps.

>> tuner: type set to 50 (TCL 2002N) by ivtv i2c driver #0
>>
> It's setting the tuner type correctly.
>

>> From that output, I can honestly say I have no idea if I have the
>> same problem or not. I'll also be totally honest and have no idea
>> where to find that data sheet you're talking about.
>
> That's why I volunteered to do the part after the data sheet is
> found.  Getting a data sheet from a vendor usually involves a lot
> of begging/groveling , unless you're one of the vendor's primary
> customers...
>
>> I'm having trouble telling if my modules.conf file does or does
>> not  list the ivtv module.
>
> It doesn't specify a tuner option (which is the part I thought may
> be causing your problem), so don't worry about tracking it down..
>
>> However, since MythTV can actually able to  display something from
>> the tuner, I'm going to assume that it is loaded.
>>
>> In case it's important, I'm using the latest version of
>> KnoppMyth.  Thanks for all you help.
>
> At this point, I'll have to say I can't think of anything that
> would cause the symptoms you're seeing when the tuner is properly
> defined and configured.  Fix the disk issue, then you might want to
> consider a re-install, and if the problem persists, let us know.
Yeah, I'm also trying to update the firmware, but I think I'll try
that again after I do the hard disk replacement (the perl script for
updating the firmware seems to be on the fritz too, so I'm guessing
something in the whole ivtv package was corrupted). Perhaps I should
look into using an earlier KnoppMyth package too.