[mythtv-users] Tuning Woes

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 12:28:15 EST 2005

Hash: SHA1

Sorry to top-post.

After lengthy experimentation in replacing my hard disk, IDE cable,  
etc, I've been unable to remove those annoying IDE seek errors. After  
replacing the hard disk and performing my third and fourth KnoppMyth  
install, I'm unable to access any DNS addresses, and only IP  
addresses. I discussed this with a friend of mine, and he thinks this  
might be a problem with the PSU. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks  
that an under-powered PSU could cause tuning problems, of if they've  
had an under powered PSU and what kind of problems they had.

Thanks for all your help.

Life is like a simile.

On Dec 15, 2005, at 21.22, Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> Hash: SHA1
> On Dec 15, 2005, at 19.09, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>>> Yeah, I'm also trying to update the firmware, but I think I'll  
>>> try  that again after I do the hard disk replacement
>> Try the cable first.  It's a cheaper fix.  I was helping a friend  
>> with a bad disk in an LVM vol group and we figured out that the  
>> disk must be bad because the BIOS couldn't even recognize it.  The  
>> system was running and writing LiveTV data and then just powered  
>> off.  When he powered on, the disk wasn't recognized.
> Well, actually, in this case, it's more expensive for me, seeing as  
> I *do* have an extra hard disk lying around, but not an extra IDE  
> cable. But, yes, I do remember having problems with an IDE cable  
> before on the family PC. However, this PC was not assembled by me,  
> but came prefabricated, that includes the current hard disk. My  
> guess is that this hard disk was damaged in transit from somewhere  
> to another.
> But I'll see if I can dig up an IDE cable from somewhere, and give  
> it a try. Either way, I'm going to have to reinstall KnoppMyth I'm  
> guessing.
>> After he bought a new 300GB disk and plugged it in to the existing  
>> cable, the BIOS wouldn't recognize the new drive.  So, I made him  
>> swap the cables and the new disk worked--at which point we plugged  
>> the new cable in to the old disk and it (and the vol group)  
>> worked.  His (then) $150 replacement IDE cable was an expensive  
>> fix (but on the bright side, it came with a free 300GB disk we  
>> used to replace an 80GB disk in the vol group.
>>> (the perl script for  updating the firmware seems to be on the  
>>> fritz too, so I'm guessing  something in the whole ivtv package  
>>> was corrupted).
>> So, it might actually be the disk issue causing the tuner  
>> issue...  Fingers crossed that the disk issue is easy to fix...
>>> Perhaps I should  look into using an earlier KnoppMyth package too.
>> I recommend using R5A26.  R5A22 was an accidental unstable version  
>> release.  Before that had old versions of ivtv, which may make  
>> configuration much harder.
> Thanks for the advice.
>> Mike
>> _______________________________________________
>> mythtv-users mailing list
>> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)
> iD8DBQFDojMCwAwn3hu8KxcRAp2NAJ0f+ZMH0WogxxL/oAUYIyDEG2Mu5gCfd/8D
> pEDKh8OHHDSGiuj4dA6D+OE=
> =wvOU
> _______________________________________________
> mythtv-users mailing list
> mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list