[mythtv-users] Confused about video card

Cymen Vig cymenvig at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 16:12:50 EST 2005

On 12/14/05, Micha Kersloot <micha at kovoks.nl> wrote:
> I'm in the lucky possition to be able to test 2 different graphic cards
> in my system. I'm living in the Netherlands (PAL) and using 0.18.1 release.
>
> The two cards are a ATI Radeon RX9550 and a NVidia FX5200 both from MSI.
> I'm using the fglrx driver for the ATI and the nvidia driver for the...
> ehh nvidia ... card.
>
> I've found that the Ati card has quite a better quality output on my
> Television (SVIDEO) than the NVidia card. On the other side, BOB isn't
> working (a static 'screendump' flickering with the life stream) and i'm
> unable to do anything with overscan and/or shifting the output to center
> on my TV. Those functions are working on the nvidia card, but the
> quality is like vhs video quality.
>
> After searching the mailinglists / web, it seems that the nvidia card
> should be better, so i've got the feeling i'm doing something wrong
> overhere. Is that true and can you give some hints?

Have you adjusted any of the settings with the Nvidia configuration
software for Linux (nvidia-settings)?

What is better about the ATI output compared to the Nvidia output? Is
it the colors are more accurate? Less noise in the video? Something
else? Quality is subjective so perhaps there is something you are
seeing that others are not. I do have a Radeon card here so I am going
to try comparing it to my Geforce 4 MX.