[mythtv-users] Re-using/moving hardware around

N Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 12 13:12:48 EST 2005

I'm planning on shuffling some hardware around and I'd like to run this
by the list to see if anyone might be able to shed some light on
potential issues I might run into...

Current Myth box:
Asus A7NX8-E Deluxe Mobo
1 Gig Dual DDR Ram
Athlon XP 3000 CPU
ATI Radeon 9550 w/256M Ram
Hauppauge PVR 350
Seagate 250G disk

The box is in my living room.  Everything here is working just fine

In my rec room, I have an HD and a Moto 6412 that I'd like to stream to
my PC via firewire.  I know the firewire is active since I've played
around with it at one time.

What I'd like to do:
Rebuild the living room Myth box with existing HW I have:
MSI KT4V-L Mobo (Via KT400 chipset)
512M RAM
Athlon XP 1800
Leadtek Winfast 2000XP Deluxe
Move from Living PC to this new one:
Hauppauge PVR 350
Seagate 250G HD (moving this so I don't lose all of my current
recordings, I can just rebuild the kernel)

For the Moto 6412 firewire connected box:
Asus A7NX8-E Deluxe Mobo
1 Gig Dual DDR Ram
Athlon XP 3000 CPU
Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 w/ 256M
1x Seagate 200G
1x Seagate 250G

A few questions that are stuck in my mind:
1 - how is the firewire on the Asus Mobo?  If it's not great, I have a
3-port IEEE1394 card I can stick into that box (I think it's a Dynex -
from Best Buy).

2 - I plan on connecting the on-board SPDIF to my stereo.  Has anyone
done it with this board (or any other NForce2 board) and will I have to
screw around to get it working?

Thanks for your input.  I think I'll be doing this early in the new year.

Norm