[mythtv-users] Pluto!

Tim Hamer tdh1 at cec.wustl.edu
Mon Dec 12 13:00:21 EST 2005

Andrew Close wrote:
> On 12/10/05, Joshua Lewis <jmlewis at dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>>Back story:
>>I am building a house in KY (insert Red Neck Joke Here!) and am designing
>>the house around homeentertainment.
>

> no red neck jokes. :)  i'm jealous and envious.  i wanna build a home like that!
>

>>quad CAT6 drops in every room
>>Dual AV jacks in every room
>>Built in speakers in lots of rooms
>>
>>MythTV in the basement
>>dumb terminals at each TV.
>>
>>Then I found another product called Pluto. www.plutohome.com
>>
>>It uses MythTV for Tivo like functionality. But uses other programs to
>>control the home. A smart home or Home automation. climate control,
>>Lights, TV, Astrik PBX, Security. All sorts of goodies.
>>
>>It is completely open source. This seems to good to be true. Has anyone
>>used MythTV and Pluto and have any experiances to share?
>>
>>Pluto can use bluetooth from your handheld or Cell phone to have your
>>MythTV program follow you from room to room to room. Cool. Ok I need to
>>stop watching so much TV.
>

> as others have mentioned there are a couple Pluto threads floating
> around.  one turn off is that the bluetooth phone has to be a Symbian
> OS phone i believe.  that limits your choices a bit.  Pluto's MythTv
> functionality is a watered down version of Myth.  both of those
> statements are hearsay, i 'believe' i read them in other posts or on
> some other forum as i've never played with Pluto myself.  although i
> have checked out their website and if i had the time and money, would
> play around with it. :)
>
> good luck with the house.  i'd love more details/updates. :)

i'd be very curious to know if anyone has actually gotten plutohome to
do much. maybe i'm just a little slow, but i can't seem to configure any
of my X10 stuff with their "easy to use" but utterly confusing web
interface.

however, if you have a bunch of wireless windows CE devices lying around
to use as remotes, the touchscreen interfaces (orbiters) are pretty cool.

as far as myth functionality, pluto has its own interface for music and
videos, so it only uses myth for live tv and recordings. actually, the
orbiters just have a button that launches myth, and a remote interface
that pushes keyboard strokes to myth when buttons are pressed.

overall, installation with the kickstart cd was easy, though you may
have serious problems that are very difficult to debug. also you can
probably expect to spend a lot of time configuring things, especially if
you find the web interface as confusing as i did.