[mythtv-users] Pluto!

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 10:45:06 EST 2005

On 12/10/05, Joshua Lewis <jmlewis at dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Back story:
> I am building a house in KY (insert Red Neck Joke Here!) and am designing
> the house around homeentertainment.

no red neck jokes. :)  i'm jealous and envious.  i wanna build a home like that!

> quad CAT6 drops in every room
> Dual AV jacks in every room
> Built in speakers in lots of rooms
>
> MythTV in the basement
> dumb terminals at each TV.
>
> Then I found another product called Pluto. www.plutohome.com
>
> It uses MythTV for Tivo like functionality. But uses other programs to
> control the home. A smart home or Home automation. climate control,
> Lights, TV, Astrik PBX, Security. All sorts of goodies.
>
> It is completely open source. This seems to good to be true. Has anyone
> used MythTV and Pluto and have any experiances to share?
>
> Pluto can use bluetooth from your handheld or Cell phone to have your
> MythTV program follow you from room to room to room. Cool. Ok I need to
> stop watching so much TV.

as others have mentioned there are a couple Pluto threads floating
around.  one turn off is that the bluetooth phone has to be a Symbian
OS phone i believe.  that limits your choices a bit.  Pluto's MythTv
functionality is a watered down version of Myth.  both of those
statements are hearsay, i 'believe' i read them in other posts or on
some other forum as i've never played with Pluto myself.  although i
have checked out their website and if i had the time and money, would
play around with it. :)

good luck with the house.  i'd love more details/updates. :)