[mythtv-users] PVR-250 setup

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 22:29:47 EST 2005

On 12/11/05, mythtv at jehster.net <mythtv at jehster.net> wrote:
> I'm having a tough time getting Myth to work right with a PVR-250 and I'm
> hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> The first (seemingly) odd think I notice is that the inputs reported by
> the ivtv module don't match up with the physical inputs on the card. For
> video, the card has a tuner (coax), S-Video, and composit input. But the
> ivtv module reports 5 composites ('Composite 0' through 'Composite 4'),
> one Tuner (Tuner 0), and 4 S-Video ('S-Video 0' through 'S-Video 3).
>
> Through ivtvctl, I set the video input to use 'composite 0' and the audio
> input to use 'Audio Line In'. Phsycally, I have my digital cable box
> s-vide out connected to the s-video in on the card. I also have a dual
> RCA-to-mini connected between the cable box and the PVR-250 for audio.
>
> When I navigate to watch TV through Myth, everything works fine for a
> split second (no joking). I get audio and video for about half a second or
> so before the audio stops and the video freezes for about 20 seconds.
> After that, I get dumpted back into Myth with the error "Error was
> encountered while displaying video".
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Roy

I have had this problem periodally, off and on, for over a year. I've
reported it here and never found a solution. One thing I ran into when
I got it working the last time was that I had been installing the ivtv
driver by hand and that installation only installs to /usr/local and
does not have a make uninstall switch. When I switched and started
using portage ivtv got installed in /usr and the two versions were
fighting with each other. I cleaned things up by hand, reinstalled
from portage again and seem to have been alright.

This problem is not PVR-250 specific. I have a PVR-150 and PVR-250 in
the same system. The 150 is card #1 and it had this problem also.

Hope this helps,
Mark