[mythtv-users] Most flexible / highest quality HD video card FE solution

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 23:59:05 EST 2005

On 12/10/05, Brian Foddy <bfoddy at visi.com> wrote:
<snip>

> My TV is a CRT RP 51" Hitachi, and it will accept component
> or HDMI inputs.  I currently us a NV 5600 and component converter
> to drive the tv.
<snip>
> The new MB will most likely be PCI-e.  I'd probably pick
> a 6200, maybe 6600 except I see a lot of them have
> digital max resolutions of 1600x1200.  Ideally, I'd like a
> card that will allow me to use the Audio Authority converter,
> or the cards HDTV output, or digital DVI/HDMI outputs
> for 1080i; maybe someday even 1080p (new TV?).  I'd like
> the flexibility to try different output solutions to see
> which I like best for quality / features.

As far as I know, the nVidia 6xxx/7xxx cards do not allow
Hue/Color/Brightness/Contrast adjustments with the current nVidia xv
driver.  That is not a problem if your TV will allow you to adjust
those, but not all will.  If your TV does not allow you to adjust
those values, you are better off sticking with your 5600.

My TV has a VGA port which accepts up to 1080p, but with that input
the TV will not let me make "color" adjustments -- only white and
black level.  I use an nVideo 5700LE, and the picture quality is
excellent.

John