[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

Jack R. Hyde jr at jrh.net
Thu Dec 8 15:57:11 EST 2005

My experience closely mirrors your own, there is just too much
interference from neighbor's networks, phones, microwaves, etc not to
mention a mostly vertical living arrangement. It works ok for my laptop
for ssh, remote control, etc, but that's only because I went with a
thinkpad, their wifi antenna runs throughout the LCD screen. Every other
solution I tried wasn't even sufficient for ssh. Watching video just
isn't going to happen.

The devolo sounds interesting, but I am waiting for the new power line
AV specification. The name and link evades me but it's supposed to be
more than fast enough to stream HD, which is what I need, and hence why
I use gige everywhere.

I have a closet full of different brands of wifi routers, cards,
antennas, etc. For some people it's just not going to work. So in the
meantime my town home is a mess of blue cables running up and down the
stairs =(