[mythtv-users] Easiest installation?

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:14:55 EST 2005

On 12/6/05, Marcus <lists at wordit.com> wrote:

> I'm new to MythTV. If I use KnoppMyth do I only need a free partition? Can
> I specify which partition to install to?
> Reading the docs it seemed like it would automatically install to hda1.
>
> I want myth to co-exist on my regular desktop PC.
> I'm using Debian and the MythTV packages are currently not maintained. I
> don't know how to tweak the source or makefiles to compile, so is KnoppMyth
> my best options?

I suggest installing them together in one operating system - if you try to
put Debian on one partition and KnoppMyth on another, you'll have to reboot
to go back and forth still (or some kind of weird virtual machine thing, not
worth it IMO).

If you have a free partition anyway, give knoppmyth a try to get your feet
wet if you want, but I think you'll eventually want to do one of:
A). Dedicate a seperate machine to myth, run whatever distro you like
(knoppix, etc)
B). Get myth installed in your debian system so you can use both at once
C). Reinstall to a different distro so you can get myth to work (*cough*
gentoo *cough*)

I think you should be able to get it to work with debian if you look around
for a writeup of the install. Can't be much harder than apt-get mythtv,
right?

 - Jeff