[mythtv-users] LIRC not working within Myth

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Dec 6 11:14:35 EST 2005

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 21:54:51 -0700, John DiLorenzo wrote:
>Hi Guys,

>I'm slowly fixing all the problems of my Myth setup, but I just can't figure
>out my LIRC problem...

>Here's the issue:

>LIRCD seems to run on startup, but IRW won't work and a /sbin/service lircd
>status comes back with "lircd dead but subsys locked"

If it does this on every boot then there is something wrong in the lirc
backend. Does it say this if you reboot and immediately run 'service lirc
status' or did you get this after playing around? If the latter then
whatever you *did* killed it.
For testing, you may want to try adding a script to rc.local which does a)
 rm -f -y /var/lock/subsys/lircd and b) service lircd restart.

At least then you can be sure that the backend is up.

>If I do a /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c  and then start the service manually,
>everything looks good and irw shows me button presses like a madman...
>After getting it to work, I start up my frontend and try using the remote
>there-  nothing happens.

>Here's my configuration:

>Athlon 2100 running Fedora Core 4 installed using Jarod's guide
>PVR-150 using the new grey/black remote.

>I'm using the lircrc file for that remote listed on Jarod's page.  It seems
>to be complete and in the correct places, including a .lircrc file located
>in the MYTHTV user's home folder.

>Any ideas?

During my 8 round arm-wrestle with lirc, I discovered
a)	that multiple copies of lircrc (and .lircrc) are a prescription
for disaster. I removed all of them except for the ultimate default
instance /etc/.lircrc.

b)	that the *names* of the buttons in the lircd.conf and lircrc
files must be exactly the same for (at least) myth to handle them
properly. If the incoming ir code ("00012345" etc.) maps to "VolumeUp" in
lircd.conf, it must be mapped exactly to "VolumeUp" in lircrc (not Vol+ or
Volume+) for the match to work.... Think of the codes and descriptions as
case statements, in the 2 files:
Case "00012345"  then "VolumeUp"....... Case "VolumeUp" then "irxevent
V+5".....

Once I got that correct, my remote worked in myth... (not that the buttons
map to things that I find useful, but at least things are being passed
through properly).

HTH

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638