[mythtv-users] Re: mpeg2 to mpeg4 transcoding in mythtv

gary gary at securepeace.org
Sat Aug 6 17:41:45 UTC 2005

*zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com wrote:**

>If you are using the tv-out of the 350, you need to
>use the latest ivtv versions (0.3.7+) to play mpeg4
>files.

I'm only using the 350 as a tuner, capture, and mpeg2 encoder right
now.  My output device is a nvidia 6200 driving my one CRT via vga
output, nothing is connected to the other outputs on the nvidia card.

>It works for Myth, xine, and mplayer (I
>haven't tried it with mplayer).  The hardware decoder
>on the 350 only plays mpeg2 video with mp2 audio.  The
>framebuffer in 0.2.0-xxx versions isn't fast enough
>for X11 playback, but there are xv extensions built
>into the latest versions of ivtv that allow playback
>of any type of video.

ivtv version 0.2.0-rc3j
debianized 2.6.8 kernel
debian etch
mplayer 1.0pre7-3.3.5 compiled from marillat's deb-src

I could very well be wrong, but I don't think ivtv is coming to into
play here.  I suspect i need a codec or some command line juju for
mplayer to recognize these mpeg4 files.  One other item I didn't mention
is mythtv is also setup to run a postprocessing job to mark commercials
and then transcode.  I'll stop the commercial post processing and try
again.  Right now I'm experimenting with transcoding the mpeg2's into
mpeg4's using meconder.  I'll report back what I find.

>If you are in PAL territory it
>may work near perfectly, but my NTSC video has a
>slight bit of jerkiness in the video.

Nope, I'm capturing NTSC at 640x480, i've also tried 480x480.  I recall
the mythtv howto saying if you pick an odd capture resolution you may
not get any video output.

>Note that these ivtv versions aren't quite stable yet.
> I've been using them for a while now and they work OK
>though not perfectly.  But it allows me to transcode
>to mpeg4 and still play the videos.
>
>Search the ivtv-devel mailing lists for more info:
>http://gossamer-thread.com/lists/ivtv/devel/

Will do just for the education.

BTW I do love this mythtv setup, it's working great, I'm just trying to
tweak it in.

Thanks, Gary

*