[mythtv-users] Pundit mythtv

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 2 13:00:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 08:04, Neale Swinnerton wrote:
> > One question I have is I would like to utilize a PVR-350 in the pundit
> > system for output to the TV and as another tuner for recording.  I have
> > been very pleased with the PVR-350 in the existing system.  I read that
> > this will be a tight fit but appears that it should be workable.  Is
> > there any other gotchas with setting a pundit up (or pundit-r) this
> > way?  Since I plan on using the PVR-350 for output the onboard video
> > won't be used much beyond the initial install.
>
> the PVR-250 & PVR-350 get *very* hot. I had a PVR-250 & PVR-350 in the
> same box and I had to put an extra fan in otherwise they'd overheat and
> the sound would drop out. Also The PVR-350 is a *really* tight squeeze.
> It's pretty much impossible to get it into the top slot. I ended up
> grinding about 3mm off the top of both boards and cutting away some of the
> metal in the case to get these two boards in at the same time. Also PVR
> boards tend to be quite thirsty for current, so the PSU works hard, and
> the fan makes some noise. The fan is a non-standard size 80mmx15mm, so
> it's not easy to get a replacement. Mine was just too noisy for the living
> room. I now have use it as a dedicated back end with 2 epia based
> frontends.

Thanks for the reply.

So which epia boards are you using as front ends?  I looked at several
on the mini-itx.com site and they do look interesting.  I assume you are
using the video output from the epia board and do not have any encoder
cards installed in such a front end.  What speed CPU is needed to handle
decode of mpeg2?

Are you using the atrpms packages on the front end systems or some other
distribution?

While I was hoping to get a third capture card in the mix finding a good
relatively cheap frontend only system is a goal.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"Take that, you hostile sons-of-bitches!"
-- James Coburn, in the finale of _The_President's_Analyst_