[mythtv-users] Advice re: Frontend/Backend

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 13:54:15 UTC 2005

> I am looking for practical experiences from people.  There should be no
> problem setting this up.  The current frontend/backend combo will remain
> as is.
>
> Here are what I think are the possible combos.  I would like your ideas
> on which I should go with and why.
>
> 1.  Run a network cable to another room.  Install a normal frontend.
> But how will the remote work?  Are there universal IR receivers that are
> reasonable and work with LIRC?  I have been on the LIRC web site and
> there is only one home made unit from Germany that I can see.

I bought a serial IR receiver from a guy in the UK over eBay and it
works great. I use a Packard Bell remote with it (also off eBay) I'm
very happy with them.

> What have you all set up when you have gone client/server.

I'm currently trying to set up an XBox front end. Pros - cheap and the
mythtv python scripts are really cool cos boot up time is sooo quick;
can still play games on it etc. Cons - I can't get the mplayer which
comes as part of XBox Media Centre to work with MPEG4 files which is
what I have on my backend; have to spend some time soft or
chip-modding the XBox (but that's good fun!)

Regards,
Phill