[mythtv-users] QT 3.3.4 and highlighted buttons

Michael Carland mcarland at bitsgonewild.net
Tue Apr 5 22:34:13 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005, at 4:34 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 April 2005 14:14, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
>> Maybe a third list should get created - mythtv-newbie
>>
>> Then folks would not be afraid to ask "I have no idea how to do this /
>> off topic questions" without shame.  This would help the community by
>> helping newbies learn how to fix their boxes and people could be
>> directed off this list there that ask those questions.  I know I
>> myself would use it.  There are other lists, but people know stuff
>> here and that is gold.
>
> The big problem with a -newbie list is this: who's going to answer the
> questions? Its kinda like the blind leading the blind. I think Isaac
> is on
> the money: people need to read before posting. I don't suggest reading
> all
> your Myth email before posting (because there's a lot), but everyone,
> please
> search the mailing list archive before posting! That should head off
> things
> like 100 different Qt-highlighted-button threads.

I know I have a hard time keeping up on this list. I also have a hard
time doing the google thang with some topics about Myth, probably
because there is so much content, you really have to know *exactly*
what you are searching for to get any relevant info.

For example, I was trying to get MythWeather animation working. My
first attemps at google found many posts about people doing it, but
little detail. Even when I new I needed to have a WeatherWantAnimated"
setting somewhere, my first search for mythweather and
weatherwantanimated had no hits on where to stuff that setting. I had
to really tweak my search to find the sql I was looking for. I then
added an entry to the mythtv.info FAQ list with the info.

Before I read this part of this thread, I was thinking of adding one
topic per day to the FAQ, as my time allows, with the most repeated
question on the list lately. Well, the most common question that I
understand the answer enough to write up. Today I did the MythWeather
w3.weather.com and animated radar question. Not that it is posted that
much, but because I just did it.

I hope the FAQ info on mythtv.info is still being integrated into the
real FAQ. I also think the current FAQ is more like an install guide
than an FAQ, with the main topic being mostly installation steps, and
all the "problems" listed in no particular order in the
"Troubleshooting" section.

Would it be worth my time to reorganize the FAQ, is this already being
worked on, or is there a more current source of info that is being
updated that I am not aware of?

-Michael