[mythtv-users] QT 3.3.4 and highlighted buttons

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Apr 5 23:22:36 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 15:34, Michael Carland wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2005, at 4:34 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 April 2005 14:14, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
> >> Maybe a third list should get created - mythtv-newbie
> >>
> >> Then folks would not be afraid to ask "I have no idea how to do this /
> >> off topic questions" without shame.  This would help the community by
> >> helping newbies learn how to fix their boxes and people could be
> >> directed off this list there that ask those questions.  I know I
> >> myself would use it.  There are other lists, but people know stuff
> >> here and that is gold.
> >
> > The big problem with a -newbie list is this: who's going to answer the
> > questions? Its kinda like the blind leading the blind. I think Isaac
> > is on
> > the money: people need to read before posting. I don't suggest reading
> > all
> > your Myth email before posting (because there's a lot), but everyone,
> > please
> > search the mailing list archive before posting! That should head off
> > things
> > like 100 different Qt-highlighted-button threads.
>
> I know I have a hard time keeping up on this list. I also have a hard
> time doing the google thang with some topics about Myth, probably
> because there is so much content, you really have to know *exactly*
> what you are searching for to get any relevant info.

No you don't. You have to know the right place to look. Don't start with
Google, start with the mailing list archive.

Search for specific text, or browse by thread. If its something that just
happened on your system, chances are you won't have to dig back very far to
find useful info, even if you don't know exactly what to search for.

[...]
> Would it be worth my time to reorganize the FAQ, is this already being
> worked on, or is there a more current source of info that is being
> updated that I am not aware of?

I don't know any details about said FAQ, but I think its worthwhile if people
will actually read it. Its sort of a catch-22 though, unless its in huge red
letters on every page of mythtv.org (and even then, some folks would manage
to miss it). Here's a proposed first item for the FAQ:

Q: What if I have a problem?

A: First up, read the official documentation at mythtv.org. If you've already
read it, read it again. Then read this FAQ list. Now, search the mailing list
archives at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/. If you still
haven't found your answer, visit mythtv.info and poke around. After that, try
Google. If you still don't see anything, read
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html, after which it is probably
safe to take your issue to the mythtv-users mailing list.

:-)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com