[mythtv-users] Capture to DV or "uncompressed" AVI instead of MPEG-PS?

Gregg Casillo gcasillo at insightbb.com
Tue Apr 5 19:44:24 UTC 2005

I've been using several PVR-250s at work and one PVR-350 at home to capture
video. All use the ivtv driver; the 250s at capture via scripts and the 350
at home works with MythTV.

In short, I hate MPEG-2 files be they .nuv, .vob, .mpg, .m2v, etc. I have had
a devil of a time manipulating and editing these files for authoring and
burning to DVD. I don't often transcode to smaller types of MPEG-4 files. I
typically just want to cut commercials, or in the case of movies and
broadcasts at work, I want to trim a little off of the beginning and end of
these files.

Is it possible to capture to DV or "uncompressed" AVI instead of MPEG-2? I
understand that these file types are massive, ~13GB/hr. I don't care. For me
drive space is less problematic than file manipulation. I also know that this
would mean a different capture card. Again, no problem there. I'll shell out
anything to get away from MPEG-2 source files.

I doubt this is possible in MythTV, but if anyone knows if/how it might be
possible to capture to DV or some sort of uncompressed AVI, please let me
know.