[mythtv-users] Slow motion on channel change

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon Sep 27 10:16:09 EDT 2004

On 9/27/2004 9:52 AM, Doug Larrick wrote:

> Ciaran wrote:
>
>> Ah no worries :)  has there been any dev-discussion on it, I could try
>> and take a look at fixing it ?
>

> Search for subject "Reasonable avsync at startup".  Unfortunately, my
> recent searching did not turn up a way to reset an OSS or ALSA dsp
> buffer w/o potentially inducing a click in the output.  The approach
> to move forward seems like it should center on (a) queueing as little
> silence to the soundcard as is needed to keep it happy (rather than
> keeping it as full of zeroes as possible, as the code does now)

I actually have code for this for ALSA in my local tree now.  I just
haven't had a chance to finish the other things I am working on to
submit a patch.

> , and (b) measuring and accounting for the audio delay when unpausing
> video playback, so we start out as close to av sync as possible.  I
> think both parts are needed for a complete solution.

This is part of what I would like to get into ALSA before submitting a
patch.  I only work on ALSA, so I'm not sure what it would take to do
the same for OSS.

--
David