[mythtv-users] SMB or NFS?

Anton Olsen anton.olsen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 14:57:46 EDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:50:19 +0200, J.D. Bakker
<bakker at thorgal.et.tudelft.nl> wrote:

> >I'm trying to move to a separate frontend/backend system, and I want
> >to store everything on the backend's disk....does anyone have a
> >recommendation for SMB over NFS, or vice versa, in terms of
> >stability, ease of setup, or anything else??  SMB looks like it
> >would be a little easier to use with my Mac OS X boxes, but if NFS
> >is clearly better I can go that way.
>
> I have had very few problems mounting NFS exports on my PowerBook
> (10.2). Offhand I'd say that since NFS is more 'UNIXy' than SMB, it
> may well be the better choice for sharing files between two flavors
> of UNIX.
>
> JDB.
> --
> LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
> http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/

I usually setup NFS just because it's a bit easier to configure.  In
most cases you just need to add an entry to /etc/exports and restart
portmap and nfs on the server side.

The client side will be authorized by IP or name, and won't need a
password to mount the drive.

All of my myth machines use /mnt/myth/... for the music, images, and
mythvideo paths.  That way MythVideo and MythMusic all work the same
on all frontends.
I only have one backend so there's no need to mount that video drive
from other machines.

--
Anton