[mythtv-users] 2nd Card Opinions

Asciimonster asciimonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Sep 21 10:43:04 EDT 2004

Scott Francis wrote:

>I'd love to keep this new card in the $50-$60 so that kinda removes the PVR250 from the mix unless I potentially get lucky on EBay or something.  Ideally I would like the same capture quality as the PVR350 and onboard capture hardware encoding.  Also, I'm hoping that whatever I get plays nicely with the PVR350.

Looking at that last remark, I believe the best way to go is a PVR250.
All you need to do is place the card, edit the modules.conf  (add 'alias
char-major-81-1 ivtv' or something) , run depmod -a, run the myth setup
programme, restart mythbackend.
Only drawback: I have seen a PVR 250 undera 100 bucks.

On the other hand, if you have a pretty modern system (i.e. > PentIII
1GHz) you could try a 'dumb' card (withou hardware compression) from
another vendor.