[mythtv-users] 2nd Card Opinions

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Tue Sep 21 10:55:41 EDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Scott Francis wrote:
> Well it finally happened.  I bumped up the priority for Monday Night
> Football, and it got the wife upset that her shows didn't record during
> the same timeslot.  Because of this I now have the greenlight to put in
> a 2nd capture card so that we can record two shows at once (plus watch
> live TV while recording).  I currently own a PVR350, and I'm wondering
> what people think is a good lowcost capture card to go with it.  I was
> thinking about the WinTV Go, but see from reading the archives that the
> newer chipset versions aren't well supported.
>
> I'd love to keep this new card in the $50-$60 so that kinda removes the
> PVR250 from the mix unless I potentially get lucky on EBay or something.
> Ideally I would like the same capture quality as the PVR350 and onboard
> capture hardware encoding.  Also, I'm hoping that whatever I get plays
> nicely with the PVR350.

You could go with a M179:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=15-100-003&depa=0

..but it's kind of a luck-of-the-draw type thing with it. I get fairly
reasonable quality out of mine now that I've figured out a good firmware
version, but a lot of people have problems with theirs that doesn't seem
fixable.