[mythtv-users] Feature request Internal player

Donavan Stanley GeckoFiend at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 08:33:42 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Naninck <richard.naninck at home.nl>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 13:19:30 +0200
Subject: [mythtv-users] Feature request Internal player
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org

>>I like the idea about an internel video player and expirimented with
it. I put "Internal" in stead
>> of "MPlayer + options" in the movie settings page. I see that the
internal player is still under >>construction. Would it be simple to
put a checkmark box on the movie settings page in which
>>you can set if you want the internal player or not. If checked, you
would get the internal
>>player and the command line for mplayer would be greyed out. If not
checked, the command
>>line would become active and mplayer would be used again. That way
it is easy to switch
>>between the internal player and the external player.

The internal player is implemented as a playback plugin, hence the
reason you have to specfiy a name instead of a simple checkbox.  I
have toyed with the idea of making the Internal player a special case
and adding a simple checkbox since we're always going to have it
available.

>> Qustion: Does digital audio (5.1 or so) work with the internal player?

If you have ac3_passthrough enabled, and there is a 6 channel audio
track present it *should* work.  I don know there are some 6 channel
tracks that it has problems with that I've not gotten a chance to
track down.

>>Maybe I missed some settings for that. Also some files don't play at
all, others are very slow
>>and some play fine. I like the controls being the same as from the
TV player, so if the
>>internal player could do what mplayer does with audio etc, I would
certainly switch!

Right now the Internal player is best suited for playback of perfect
DVD rips.  The new --video paramater for mythcommflag builds good
seektables for those and the new audiot track selection keys allow you
to playback things like director commentary/other languages  if you
wish .

There are some file formats that the player *should* handle but
doesn't for one reason or another, I plan on tracking tracking down
why it doesn't play them well and fixing it.

Heres my plans for the Internal player:
1) Get seek tables working 100% in all avi files.
2) Fix problems with certain 6 channel audio formats.
3) DVD playback.
4) Fix oddball formats such as ASF amd WMV.