[mythtv-users] Possibly Handy tweaks

Steve Hayles (diverse) steve at diverseyachts.com
Wed Oct 27 11:20:32 UTC 2004

I am a very inexperienced linux user who has been putting together a Mythtv
box for a while and have enjoyed learning about how LInux and even some
limited C++ programming.

I have had some performance issues which have been massively improved by
using the unichrome XvMC drivers and the latest CVS.

I was still having problems with stuttering and general sluggishnes whenever
the database was being accessed, so thought I would play around with a few
possible enhancements.

This may be bad practice but I now have a simple script that mounts a small
part of the memory as a ramdisk,  copies the MYSQL data into it and accesses
the data from there.  It has seriously improved the general responsive of my
system hugely and I have not had a single problem.

There is a simple backup script that runs to save the ramdisk contents to
the HDD whenever the DVB card updates the EPG and when the machine boots it
sets up the ramdisk and copies this backed up  folder into the ramdisk.

====

The other very simple tweak that I have found very useful is in using the
DVB signal to sync the system clock using the dvbdate utility contained in
the dvb-utils package.  It means that I can now run the machine without
network connectivity and I can place the box entirely standalone and still
EPG, accurate time etc.

=====

/usr/src/tv_grab_dvb-0.9/tv_grab_dvb|mythfilldatabase --no-delete --file 1 0
-
echo "Backing up database.."
rm -f /var/lib/mysql_real/mythconverg/*
cp -a /var/lib/mysql/mythconverg/* /var/lib/mysql_real/mythconverg/
echo "database backup complete"
echo "Setting system clock from DVB card.."
/usr/src/linuxtv-dvb-apps-1.1.0/util/dvbdate/dvbdate --set
echo "Complete..."

May not be useful to anyone but I know how much I like to get simple bits of
help.