[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with PVR-350 for output

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Oct 23 05:10:20 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 21:56, Dan Lanciani wrote:
> I've been trying to send ATSC programming from a pcHDTV card through the
> MPEG decoder in a PVR-350 using MythTV 0.16.  It seemed that the
> configuration setting to use the PVR-350's output was just being ignored.
> (I could run an X server on the 350 and then of course everything displayed
> on the TV, but through the dumb framebuffer interface.)  There were no
> error messages or anything else to indicate that the PVR-350 was being
> accessed at all.
>
> Finally I had the thought to try using the PVR-350's own analog tuner as a
> source rather than the pcHDTV.  The PVR-350's output then came to life,
> turned on and off by the configuration option in Playback Settings just as
> it should be.  Is something in MythTV deciding that the PVR-350's MPEG
> decoder can't handle the ATSC stream?  Or is there some interdependence
> between PVR-350 capture and output (which would seem to defeat the purpose
> of MythTV's distributed architecture)?

First off, the 350's decoder is set up for NTSC or PAL sized mpeg2 frames, not
ATSC sized frames. I don't think the hardware is physically capable of
handling something that big. Second, why on earth would you want to output
HDTV content through an SVideo connection that is 720x480, interlaced? You'd
effectively be down-sampling the ATSC signal back down to NTSC, so why even
bother? For HDTV, you really need to be outputting to your TV via VGA, DVI or
component for it to be worthwhile. This has all been discussed before, please
search the archives if you want more insight.

> Something else funny I've noticed when using the pcHDTV card.  If I don't
> run dtvsignal to set the card to a channel with a valid signal before I
> try to "Watch TV" the front end hangs.  On killing it I see there was a
> tuner error.  This is with a 2.6.6 kernel and associated patches from
> the pcHDTV site.

Works for me without doing that, no clue what's up there.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...