[mythtv-users] pcHDTV with PVR-350 for output

Dan Lanciani ddl5 at danlan.com
Sat Oct 23 04:56:55 UTC 2004

I've been trying to send ATSC programming from a pcHDTV card through the MPEG
decoder in a PVR-350 using MythTV 0.16.  It seemed that the configuration
setting to use the PVR-350's output was just being ignored.  (I could run
an X server on the 350 and then of course everything displayed on the TV,
but through the dumb framebuffer interface.)  There were no error messages
or anything else to indicate that the PVR-350 was being accessed at all.

Finally I had the thought to try using the PVR-350's own analog tuner as a
source rather than the pcHDTV.  The PVR-350's output then came to life, turned
on and off by the configuration option in Playback Settings just as it should
be.  Is something in MythTV deciding that the PVR-350's MPEG decoder can't
handle the ATSC stream?  Or is there some interdependence between PVR-350
capture and output (which would seem to defeat the purpose of MythTV's
distributed architecture)?

Something else funny I've noticed when using the pcHDTV card.  If I don't
run dtvsignal to set the card to a channel with a valid signal before I
try to "Watch TV" the front end hangs.  On killing it I see there was a
tuner error.  This is with a 2.6.6 kernel and associated patches from
the pcHDTV site.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl at danlan.*com