[mythtv-users] RE: Getting VIA graphics to work, or buy a PVR-350?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Oct 21 05:04:26 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 19:53, Travis Kelley wrote:
> Just a quick interjection guys.  The m10000 is most likely never going
> to be totally stable as long as we/via have the dma problem.  Using a
> pvr card causes huge amounts of dma across the bus and this tends to
> lock via systems. Reference this thread
> http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=60131&enterthr
>ead=y

Historically, the VIA DMA problems haven't affected EPIA systems like they
have KT133 through KT400 systems. Not sure if that has changed recently. My
M10000 has absolutely zero problems handling a PVR-350, as do many other
people's M10k systems.

> All that said...I have had pretty good success with my m10000,
> especially with some of the later versions of ivtv and unichrome.  I
> have 0 experience with the via under FC2.  What I use are the kernel
> patches from http://www.epiawiki.org/wiki/tiki-index.php and the latest
> unichrome X from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=102048&package_id=111
>599.  I know these will be more of a pain to build in FC2 than they are in
> gentoo, but it can work:)

I plan to work on just that one of these days.

> BTW I think some of the later mythcvs builds had
> better support for the cle266 and unichrome.  You might also try that at
> some point.

The unichrome-specific stuff is only in CVS, from what I understand.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...