[mythtv-users] How does the frontend connect to a remote backend

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 18:23:45 UTC 2004

 MythTV uses TCP/IP for backend to frontend connectivity. The
application level protocol running over the link is of the home grown
variety. Many features and commands have been added to the protocol
since the project began. Multicast is not used, everyone establishes
direct links with who they need to talk to. Multicast would be nice if
you had multiple frontends that wanted to view the same content, at
the same time. However, fast ethernet can support several frontends
doing this without multicast, and with more flexiblity, so the
cost/benefits just isn't there.

 I hope I got this right?.... someone else?

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com