[mythtv-users] HDTV from satellite

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 15:24:06 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am getting a little confused over getting MythTV to work with HiDef
programming.
I checked the pcHDTV site and the FAQ says it is not for
cable/satellite HiDef. Thus I am assuming it is an over the air HDTV
tuner card only.

Currently, I have old school analog cable and a 27" TV. My MythTV box
has been running for a month or so and all is happy (including the
wife!)

Now I want to buy a RP CRT-based 16x9 HDTV (Toshiba 51HX84). SD TV
looks pretty crappy on all the widescreen TVs and I am trying to see
what Myth can do to help improve this.

If I get HiDef satellite, how do I capture the higher quality
widescreen programming? I have a PVR250 card, will it capture only at
4x3? What about the non-HiDef programming from satellite?

I have looked around at some of the HDTV and MythTV posts and sites,
but it mostly seems to be talking about the over the air.

I know I can make my FX5600 card output a 16x9 aspect ratio (and am
hoping the DVI out can work with the HDMI in on the new TV with the
right cable), I am just missing what I will need to do on the capture
and MythTV end to make things look and work correctly.

Any help or links would be appreciated.

Robin