[mythtv-users] HDTV from satellite

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sun Oct 10 16:26:57 UTC 2004

Robin Smith wrote:
> If I get HiDef satellite, how do I capture the higher quality
> widescreen programming? I have a PVR250 card, will it capture only at
> 4x3? What about the non-HiDef programming from satellite?

Your only hope for capturing full Hi-def resolution is to use a
satellite receiver with FireWire output, and write some code in MythTV
to capture the stream.  Nobody has done this, but I can't imagine it
being too difficult in the grand scheme of things.

Hi-def is too high resolution for realtime MPEG encoding w/o specialized
(i.e. professional, big-buck) equipment.

You should be able to capture the down-rezzed (480i) output from your
satellite receiver with your normal analog capture card, using the
S-video or composite input.

-Doug