[mythtv-users] Guide too big / fonts too small

David Carlin djc6 at cwru.edu
Sun Nov 28 05:54:45 UTC 2004

On Nov 27, 2004, at 11:18 PM, Michael Cheshire (Mailing Lists) wrote:

> 1) I recommend you dont use 640x480 - use whatever DVD resolution is
> right for your region for the TV OUT (I use 720x576 as its PAL here in
> Oz) it tends to display better on TV, and also makes it handy if you
> want to cut your recordings to DVD.

OK; I set it to 720x480 - I don't know if this is correct, but its what
everyone else uses? :)

> 2) You can adjust the fonts/theme/underscan for the on screen display
> in the frontend : Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback
> (in the last screen you can set overscan/underscan - a positive
> integer will REDUCE the on-screen overlay size) ( there is a font size
> selection in here somewhere also).

Thanks!  This fixed the on screen display stuff, i.e. the channel
info/description at the bottom of the screen, but the program guide is
still offset/overscanned/etc where all the other GUI aspects look
great.  The program guide fonts are still much too small.  I feel like
something is wrong, I can't believe this would be the default setup -
it's not like my eyes suck or anything.  The program guide fonts are
just exceptionally small, they cannot be read at any distance.

> 3) I assume you have you installed the ivtv X driver from
> http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ ? I have found this gives more stable
> and efficient playback (less CPU useage than the framebuffer driver).
> You need to install it in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers then move
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a somewhere else as they
> conflict. You then have to refer to ivtvdev rather than fbdev in your
> xorg.conf - see below. If you do install this driver, I found that X/Y
> positioning did not work under KDE or ratpoison, so I am using good
> old twm, which appears to work OK.
>
> Interestingly when twm starts up it automatically starts up an xterm
> which you have to position with the mouse before it loads anything
> else - I dont suppose anyone knows how to stop this? - I've checked
> through all the X startup scripts to no avail.

I also use twm, I followed these instructions here:

http://hawley.homeip.net/recycled-machine-mythtv.html

and I am using the badzzzz driver, and I have moved libfbdevhw.a out of
the way and made the proper changes to my xorg.conf.

Thanks for the response!!!