[mythtv-users] Guide too big / fonts too small

Sun Nov 28 04:18:38 UTC 2004

David,

1) I recommend you dont use 640x480 - use whatever DVD resolution is right
for your region for the TV OUT (I use 720x576 as its PAL here in Oz) it
tends to display better on TV, and also makes it handy if you want to cut
your recordings to DVD.

2) You can adjust the fonts/theme/underscan for the on screen display in the
frontend : Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback (in the last
screen you can set overscan/underscan - a positive integer will REDUCE the
on-screen overlay size) ( there is a font size selection in here somewhere
also).

3) I assume you have you installed the ivtv X driver from
http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ ? I have found this gives more stable and
efficient playback (less CPU useage than the framebuffer driver). You need
to install it in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers then move
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.a somewhere else as they conflict.
You then have to refer to ivtvdev rather than fbdev in your xorg.conf - see
below. If you do install this driver, I found that X/Y positioning did not
work under KDE or ratpoison, so I am using good old twm, which appears to
work OK.

Interestingly when twm starts up it automatically starts up an xterm which
you have to position with the mouse before it loads anything else - I dont
suppose anyone knows how to stop this? - I've checked through all the X
startup scripts to no avail.

M.

---

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Hauppauge PVR 350 iTVC15 Framebuffer"
        Driver      "ivtvdev"
        # Driver      "fbdev"

        ### change fb0 to whatever your card grabbed
        Option      "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"

        ### change the BusID to whatever is reported by lspci, specify it as
hex.
        BusID "01:0x04:0"
EndSection

---