[mythtv-users] How well does Unichrome work?

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Nov 24 06:35:44 UTC 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 19:51, Joe Votour wrote:

> --- Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, cool, so you probably lost less sleep than I
>> did while setting yours
>> up. ;-)
>>

> Jarod,
>
> Most definitely.  While I'm a bit of a risk-taker, I
> do sometimes (key word: sometimes) know when to play
> it safe.  :)

Always nice to have a lead blocker. :-p

>> I'm going to tinker with mine some more over the
>> long break also, but Isaac
>> confirms that kernel deint doesn't work with XvMC on
>> these. Bob deint does
>> though. Out of curiosity, what sort of cpu
>> utilization are you seeing while
>> watching live TV and/or recordings? I think I'm
>> around 55% total usage
>> between user and system. Even more interesting will
>> be mythvideo xvid
>> playback performance, which I plan to get to over
>> the weekend...
>>
> I'm seeing about 40-45% combined usage between user
> and system, this with kernel deinterlacing enabled
> (yes, I checked, it's, "kernel (less motion blur)".

Ack, my mistake, I'm actually around 45% also (no deint enabled at
all). Plan to play more over the break...

>> In theory, that shouldn't matter. Bitrate and
>> resolution could, I suppose. I
>> record at 720x480, 8000kbps min, 16000kbps max. I
>> can see the difference when
>> watching on my HDTV, so rather than skimp on
>> quality, I went big on storage.
>> I should try some lower bitrate stuff. Could also be
>> another ymmv case with
>> nVidia cards and their output though...
>>
> Hmmm...  720x480, using the default settings of
> 4500-6500.  I have a 250GB hard drive in the backend,
> I could easily increase the bitrate, and I might try
> that.

My mbe has a 605GB LVM volume for video (1x250, 2x200). :-)

> Thanks for the info, it gives me a few more things to
> try...  I'm always game for trying anything that
> increases my picture quality.

Definitely. I'm going to screw around with some lower-bitrate CNN stuff
over the break also...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com