[mythtv-users] How well does Unichrome work?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 03:51:56 UTC 2004

--- Jarod Wilson <jcw at wilsonet.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Okay, cool, so you probably lost less sleep than I
> did while setting yours
> up. ;-)

Jarod,

Most definitely.  While I'm a bit of a risk-taker, I
do sometimes (key word: sometimes) know when to play
it safe.  :)

<snip>

> I'm going to tinker with mine some more over the
> long break also, but Isaac
> confirms that kernel deint doesn't work with XvMC on
> these. Bob deint does
> though. Out of curiosity, what sort of cpu
> utilization are you seeing while
> watching live TV and/or recordings? I think I'm
> around 55% total usage
> between user and system. Even more interesting will
> be mythvideo xvid
> playback performance, which I plan to get to over
> the weekend...

I'm seeing about 40-45% combined usage between user
and system, this with kernel deinterlacing enabled
(yes, I checked, it's, "kernel (less motion blur)".
Again, I don't know if it's doing anything, but I'm
getting the black and white OSD, which tells me that
I'm doing something with XvMC (well, so I would
think).  When I turned it off, I was seeing lines in
fast motion again (but, I think I might have seen that
tonight as well with it on).  Damn, I'm confused!
I'll try Bob out as well and see what it gives me.

<snip>
> In theory, that shouldn't matter. Bitrate and
> resolution could, I suppose. I
> record at 720x480, 8000kbps min, 16000kbps max. I
> can see the difference when
> watching on my HDTV, so rather than skimp on
> quality, I went big on storage.
> I should try some lower bitrate stuff. Could also be
> another ymmv case with
> nVidia cards and their output though...

Hmmm...  720x480, using the default settings of
4500-6500.  I have a 250GB hard drive in the backend,
I could easily increase the bitrate, and I might try
that.

Thanks for the info, it gives me a few more things to
try...  I'm always game for trying anything that
increases my picture quality.

-- Joe