[mythtv-users] How well does Unichrome work?

David Shay david at shay.net
Thu Nov 25 14:16:02 UTC 2004

> I'm seeing about 40-45% combined usage between user
> and system, this with kernel deinterlacing enabled
> (yes, I checked, it's, "kernel (less motion blur)".
> Again, I don't know if it's doing anything, but I'm
> getting the black and white OSD, which tells me that
> I'm doing something with XvMC (well, so I would
> think).  When I turned it off, I was seeing lines in
> fast motion again (but, I think I might have seen that
> tonight as well with it on).  Damn, I'm confused!
> I'll try Bob out as well and see what it gives me.

I too, have kernel, linear blend, and Bob working with XvMC VLD (via EPIA
M10000) out of the lastest CVS.  All 3 tend to improve ticker smoothness
(CNN, etc.) over having no filter enabled.

CPU usage is around 45-50% when one of the filters is running, more like
20-25% without them.

Is this really supposed to not work?  It works pretty well for me.  This was
the first time I tried them since I had previously assumed they didn't work
with the VIA mpeg stuff.