[mythtv-users] HD3000 50% working -- blank mythfrontend on some chans

Doug Larrick doug at ties.org
Sat Nov 20 13:36:46 UTC 2004

John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've installed my fresh HD3000 on my system and got it working with
> MythTV.  I have quite a few stations in my area, and all but two of them
> consistently have a signal quality greater than 90% according to
> dtvsignal.  For now, I'll be ignoring those two stations.  Here are my
> results with mythfrontend:

Did you use an HD-2000 before, or is this your first foray into Myth-HD?

> NBC: crashes mythfrontend 80% of time; other 20% makes it hang
> PBS: video fine, no audio
> ABC: black screen only in frontend; backend log looks fine;
>      OSD doesn't work until change channel to working station
> FOX: same as ABC
> UPN: video fine, no audio, but only if I was tuned to PBS first

You might try current CVS (if you're not) or DTK's HDTV recorder patch
from here: <http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/~danielk/mythtv/>, which is a big
overhaul of the ATSC backend.

You might also try recording stuff and watching it later, rather than
Live TV.  Yes, live TV needs to work properly, but most of the Myth HD
developers don't use it much.

> On the CBS and WB front -- dtvsignal shows a mostly 0 signal quality,
> with an occasional fraction of a second blip.  Strange thing is, CBS
> analog broadcasts from the same tower and is the strongest station I
> get.  WB broadcasts from a location close to (or the same as?) FOX.

They may be in the same location, but they are different frequencies
with different licensed power.  What part of the country are you in?
You might check the AVS forums <http://www.avsforum.com/>; there's one
specifically for HDTV reception with threads for different cities.

-Doug