[mythtv-users] Using DVD writer as primary DVD drive?

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Tue Mar 30 17:36:53 EST 2004

Two separate things.  Mounting "any image as a virtual CD/DVD drive",
sounds to me like mounting an iso image (file), which is definitely
supported in linux.

I think the original post was about mounting the physical disk, and yes
I believe that's possible.  At least I know most data dvd's are
mountable as iso9660... I really have no experience with the udf
filesystem but I'm nearly certain that's supported in most modern
distro's also.

And once mounted, xine can play from any directory that holds a
dvd-video structure (whether mounted or the ripped vobs).  No need to do
any piping there.  The part I'm not positively sure about is how to copy
the exact structure as mounted.  mkisofs??