[mythtv-users] No sound in LiveTV

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Wed Jun 23 06:47:51 EDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Francois Gouget wrote:
[...]
> So when in LiveTV mode MythTV must be doing something to the PVR-350
> that causes it to loose sound.

I believe I found what it's doing. If I run 'ivtvctl -C' before I use
LiveTV, then I get:

$ ivtvctl -C
ioctl: IVTV_IOC_G_CODEC
Codec parameters
aspect      : 2
audio       : 0x00e9

But if I run it after using LiveTV I get:

$ ivtvctl -C
ioctl: IVTV_IOC_G_CODEC
Codec parameters
aspect      : 2
audio       : 0x00e5
(all the other settings are identical)

So MythTV changes the audio format but I have no idea why or how to
prevent it from doing it.

I also confirmed that this was the problem by changing the audio format
using 'ivtvctl -c audio=0xe9' and then playing the video with 'mplayer
/dev/video' and I get sound if it's set to 0xe9 but no sound if it's set
to '0xe5'. Unfortunately once playback has started changing the autio
format has not effect so I cannot write a script that will fix it while
LiveTV is running.

           If it stinks, it's chemistry. If it moves, it's biology.
                  If it does not work, It's computer science.