[mythtv-users] Can't get video on TV screen

Clyde Stubbs clyde at htsoft.com
Wed Jun 9 23:01:07 EDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:01:54PM -0600, Mike Diehl (Encrypted email preferred) wrote:
> I'm trying to get video on my TV screen instead of the monitor.  I've to an
> Nforce MX440 video card on a Gentoo Linux box.

First up, the Radeon 9200SE is WAY better for TV-out than the nVidia cards.
I've disabled the MX440 on my nForce m/b and installed a Radeon card. I'm
exceedingly pleased with the result. Much better picture quality, and
much less hassle with the driver.

> It's interesting that I've not been able to load the "nvidia" driver; instead,
> I had to load the "nv" driver.

1) The binary nvidia driver does not do interlaced modes - unless your
TV will handle progressive scan, it's useless.

2) The stock nv driver doesn't do TV-out. I have a hacked version that does.
Grab it at http://www.sr20.org/dvb/ - BUT the CPU load is quite high
(50% of an Athlon XP2400+ while watching TV) and the quality is average.

My recommendation - if your tv can handle progressive scan, use the
nvidia driver. If it requires interlaced scan, buy a Radeon 9200SE card. I've
also got a driver for this at http://www.sr20.org/dvb/ based on the Gatos
project.

Cheers, Clyde

--
Clyde Stubbs                     |            HI-TECH Software
Email: clyde at htsoft.com          |          Phone            Fax