[mythtv-users] New Computer Advice

Darryl Okahata darrylo at soco.agilent.com
Fri Jul 16 11:08:31 EDT 2004

Henk Poley <hpoley at dds.nl> wrote:

> >      All of your specs are overkill for a mythtv box (since you're using
> > a PVR-250/350).  You're therefore constrained by the other things that
> > you're going to be doing.  A mythtv box with a 250/350 can live with a
> > 1GHz processor, 512MB RAM, and a lower-end Nvidia card like an MX440.
>
> Still overkill, people are running such a setup (PVRx50) on EPIA-800's, that'
> about a P2-300MHz equivalent. A year to half a year ago people said Myth
> (backend frontend) by itself has just enough with 256MB RAM. When you have

     Maybe.  Looking at the current process sizes of mythbackend,
mythfrontend, apache, etc., I'd say that 512MB is a comfortable minimum.
While you can get away with 256MB, it's a tight squeeze.  I'm not saying
that you cannot or should not do it, but you'll have to be more careful
about what you run or do with the box (e.g., dvd/video watching,
transcoding, etc.).

     Actually, after thinking about it a bit more, while the above is
fine for a plain mythtv box used for TV watching, *nothing* is overkill
if you do a lot of transcoding.  IMHO, even today's fastest processor
isn't enough if you convert to SVCD.  ;-)

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo at soco.agilent.com