[mythtv-users] Codecs on PVR-250

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Jul 8 09:53:54 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:38:50PM -0700, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Jul 6, 2004, at 16:13, John Goerzen wrote:
> >tradeoffs are.  For instance: what is the difference between MPEG-2
> >PS, MPEG-2 TS, DVD, DVD-Special 1, and DVD-Special 2?  Do they have
> >different quality characteristics?
>
> Been discussed on this list and the ivtv list in the past, also in ivtv
> docs, IIRC. DVD-Special 2 is the one Microsoft XP Media Center Edition

I had googled for mythtv "dvd-special 2" and found nothing of use.  I
found info about where the option was added, but it didn't describe what
it meant.

> uses, and thus is the one that gets the most attention in the firmware.
> Its generally recommended as the best one to use (I use it myself on
> all my cards).

Does that hold for both high and low bitrates?

> >To be usable on a DVD, I know that very specific codecs must be used
> >along with very specific sample rates and frame sizes.  Does anybody
> >have a recipe to do this right off the bat?
>
> Also been covered on this mailing list in the past. Search the archives.

Well, I found this link:

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2004-March/020185.html

That describes how to convert a .nuv file(s) to DVD.  However, it
doesn't lay out what the source needs to look like.

I also found this link:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

which lists the supported framesizes for NTSC as 720x480, 704x480,
352x480, and 352x240, and audio must be 48000 Hz with 32 to 1536 kbps.
The total bitrate cannot exceed 10080 kbps.

However, that still doesn't address everything.  Should I use the MPEG-2
PS, MPEG-2 TS, DVD, DVD-Special 1, or DVD-Special 2 codec when
capturing, or does it even matter?

I could not find an answer to that.

-- John