[mythtv-users] Codecs on PVR-250

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jul 8 02:38:50 EDT 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 16:13, John Goerzen wrote:

> I just got my PVR-250 and I'm interested in setting it up for optimal
> quality, space use, and compatibility (meaning that I would eventually
> like to be able to write files out to DVDs, playable instandard
> players, without having to recode the stream.)
>
> But I don't know what the different codec options are and what the
> tradeoffs are.  For instance: what is the difference between MPEG-2
> PS, MPEG-2 TS, DVD, DVD-Special 1, and DVD-Special 2?  Do they have
> different quality characteristics?

Been discussed on this list and the ivtv list in the past, also in ivtv
docs, IIRC. DVD-Special 2 is the one Microsoft XP Media Center Edition
uses, and thus is the one that gets the most attention in the firmware.
Its generally recommended as the best one to use (I use it myself on
all my cards).

> To be usable on a DVD, I know that very specific codecs must be used
> along with very specific sample rates and frame sizes.  Does anybody
> have a recipe to do this right off the bat?

Also been covered on this mailing list in the past. Search the archives.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...