[mythtv-users] Codecs on PVR-250

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Jul 9 14:24:22 EDT 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 06:53, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:38:50PM -0700, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Jul 6, 2004, at 16:13, John Goerzen wrote:
> > >tradeoffs are.  For instance: what is the difference between MPEG-2
> > >PS, MPEG-2 TS, DVD, DVD-Special 1, and DVD-Special 2?  Do they have
> > >different quality characteristics?
> >
> > Been discussed on this list and the ivtv list in the past, also in ivtv
> > docs, IIRC. DVD-Special 2 is the one Microsoft XP Media Center Edition
>
> I had googled for mythtv "dvd-special 2" and found nothing of use.  I
> found info about where the option was added, but it didn't describe what
> it meant.
>
> > uses, and thus is the one that gets the most attention in the firmware.
> > Its generally recommended as the best one to use (I use it myself on
> > all my cards).
>
> Does that hold for both high and low bitrates?

Not absolutely certain. I did all my visual comparison with 8000/16000 for my
HQ stuff, 4500/6000 for my LQ stuff, and it looks pretty damned good with
both of them... Best thing to do is try it out yourself, and see what you
like best, I think.

> > >To be usable on a DVD, I know that very specific codecs must be used
> > >along with very specific sample rates and frame sizes.  Does anybody
> > >have a recipe to do this right off the bat?
> >
> > Also been covered on this mailing list in the past. Search the archives.
>
> Well, I found this link:
>
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2004-March/020185.html
>
> That describes how to convert a .nuv file(s) to DVD.  However, it
> doesn't lay out what the source needs to look like.
>
> I also found this link:
>
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
>
> which lists the supported framesizes for NTSC as 720x480, 704x480,
> 352x480, and 352x240, and audio must be 48000 Hz with 32 to 1536 kbps.
> The total bitrate cannot exceed 10080 kbps.
>
> However, that still doesn't address everything.  Should I use the MPEG-2
> PS, MPEG-2 TS, DVD, DVD-Special 1, or DVD-Special 2 codec when
> capturing, or does it even matter?
>
> I could not find an answer to that.

I believe any of them should work, because they're all a form of MPEG2, but
I'd use DVD-Special 2, and a resolution of 720x480. Commercial DVD movies are
typically 720x480 (in NTSC land), possibly anamorphic, possibly not (you'd
not be creating anamorphic). I haven't really paid attention on the audio
side, I always use 5.1(+) channel AC3 audio when ripping 'em. I'm very happy
with the audio quality on my recordings, which are 48000Hz and (I believe)
192kbps on audio.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com