[mythtv-users] Stuttering

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Thu Jan 8 13:23:14 EST 2004

In case anyone was reading last week (Read: I got no replies), I
managed to get a mythtv 0.13 box (dual Athlon, simple Hauppauge frame
grabber card, Nvidia S-video out) up and running with Debian
Unstable's packages and it was great: full motion video and
high-fidelity audio, apparently with little-to-no CPU usage.

So, last night I compile the latest CVS and wham! I get this
stuttering problem that seems to pepper the archives (video has very
frequent hiccups, combined with audio sounding almost like it's
overlayed with static) along with high CPU usage, but I can't figure
out why!  I had rearranged the PCI cards in my machine, but I believe
not after testing it successfully with the old mythtv installation.  I
tried recompiling with different compile options, rearranging PCI
cards, etc...nothing stopped this from happening.

Unless there's some significant difference between my local build
environment vs. Debian's, I suspect something was changed in CVS
between 0.13 and the head that is causing this problem.  I'm going to
try the Debian packages again, determine that they work properly, and
then 0.13 from the original CVS tarball to see if the problem appears
with a local build.

In the meantime, can others who have had this problem speak up if they
have solutions that worked for them?  One thing I noticed in the
archives was downgrading from alsa 1.0.0-rc1 to 0.9.2; I am currently
using 1.0.0-rc1, but I had the same problem with the 2.4.23 internal
emu10k1 OSS driver, as well, so I'm not sure it's being caused by the
sound subsystem.

Cheers,
Kyle