[mythtv-users] Stuttering

Kyle Rose krose+mythtv at krose.org
Sat Jan 10 08:44:48 EST 2004

For anyone who cares, I found a solution to my stuttering problem.  I
became suspicious after noting that the audio stuttering disappeared
if I switched to a text VT.  I then replaced my PCI GF4 with an AGP
GF2 and all my problems went away.  Apparently I was overloading the
PCI bus (!!) with one vido card, one frame grabber, one sound card,
and one ethernet card.  I personally find this hard to believe:

Bus capacity: 32 bits * 66 MHz = 264 Mbytes/sec

Bus usage:

  640x480 @ 60 Hz, 32 bpp = 70 Mbytes/sec
   * 2 for frame grabber = 140 Mbytes/sec

  Ethernet = 0, not doing anything

  44100 Hz * 16 bits * 2 channels = 172 Kbytes/sec < 1 Mbyte/sec

  Total usage < 140 Mbytes/sec

Maybe I've got a 33 MHz card in there gumming up the works?

Anyway, I'm glad to see it's working with the "naive" configuration.
I will now proceed to install the PVR-350.

Cheers,
Kyle