[mythtv-users] Status of LinuxPPC mythttv?

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Jan 8 17:32:37 EST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Bruce C. Dillahunty wrote:

> I run it... there is a patch (I have it at home) that you can load, but it
> isn't current... a few "tweaks" and I've gotten it to work well enough to
> watch shows, etc. Filters won't run, at least some of them, since they
> seem to rely on x86 assembly.
>
> Let me know if you want the patch and I'll send it on.
>
> You may be short on horsepower... I have a 733Mhz G4 and it runs about
> 50-60% watching TV. Obviously it doesn't offload much to the video card on
> mine :-)
>
> Is there any interest in moving the PPC code into the main tree? I think
> it could be done with some #ifdefs... would that be acceptable?

	I would imagine that the patch also prevents the filters that won't
compile from trying, right?  I would certainly vote for putting the ppc code in
the kernel, but I know there are other fish to fry.

	WRT the horsepower, I'm not sure.  It's only a 350 MHz machine, but it
seems to play DIVX movies at about 40%, and fullscreen DVD MPEG2 at about 90%.
I would think that DVD MPEG2 would take more than nuppelvideo from TV.  This is
going to be a frontend only FWIW.

	Where can the patch be found, or is a job for google?

Thanks,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*