[mythtv-users] ATI All-in-Wonder

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Feb 20 13:56:46 EST 2004

Phill Wiggin wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  I'd seen several posts that talked about the TV
> Wonder working, and others talking about the new ATI cards not working.
> So, obviously _some_ ATI cards worked.  I just wanted clarification on
> whether the really old AIW had the same deficiencies as the newer AIW
> cards.

Many before you have tried to blur the line hoping that their
model of AIW was somehow an execption that would work. However,
AIW hardware works by writing video data directly into display
memory rather than sending it out over the PCI bus. The "km"
driver grabs data from the display while the image is on screen.
This approach is worthless for any application other than the
AVView demo from the GATOS site. MythTV can use the "bttv" driver
but AIW requires "km" which no applications can use (xawtv et.al.
can't do capture with "km" either). Quoting myself ;-):

ATI All-in-Wonder, and other ATI graphic cards can be used for
TV-out if the GATOS ati.2 "devel" branch is used. ATI recently
released Linux drivers that are reported to support TV-out.

ATI All-in-Wonder cards cannot be used for video capture for
MythTV or any other video app other than avview.

ATI TV-tuner cards in the "TV Wonder" series use the "bttv"
driver and can be used for recording with MythTV.

--  bjm