[mythtv-users] ATI All-in-Wonder

Patrick Reynolds reynolds at cs.duke.edu
Fri Feb 20 16:00:59 EST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Bruce Markey wrote:

> AIW hardware works by writing video data directly into display
> memory rather than sending it out over the PCI bus. The "km"
> driver grabs data from the display while the image is on screen.
> This approach is worthless for any application other than the
> AVView demo from the GATOS site. MythTV can use the "bttv" driver
> but AIW requires "km" which no applications can use (xawtv et.al.
> can't do capture with "km" either). Quoting myself ;-):

Naive question: is it possible to make the AIW draw to an off-screen
buffer (still in video memory) and capture from there?  Some cards do BLT
and font rendering in off-screen buffers; why not do TV there, too?  Then
you could capture without a visible display.

I don't have an AIW card.  I'm just intrigued by the bad design.  :)

--Patrick