[mythtv-users] Newbie Question: Good arguments for FC3?

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Fri Dec 31 20:33:40 UTC 2004

Jens Baumeister wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been thinking about building a MythTV Box with a DVB-T card
>(WinTV Nova-T) and a GeForce w/ TV-Out for quite some time now, and
>just recently I got my hands on an old Compaq Deskpro PIII 650 that
>should be a nice starting point for using Jarod's excellent HOWTO.
>
>I've been following the recent discussions about problems people are
>having to get MythTV to run on FC3. I'm not a complete Linux newbie
>(worked with it as a perl programmer for several years, set up some
>SuSE boxes years ago, as well), but I'm not big on system-level
>details and I don't really want to make my first MythTV effort any
>more difficult than it has to be.
>
>I don't want to go the KnoppMyth route since its non-standard paths
>seem to be a hassle when trying to upgrade stuff later on, but I
>wonder whether there is any benefit in choosing FC3 over FC2.
>
>So: Is there anything that makes FC3 worthwhile for a DVB-T box or
>should I just go ahead and use FC2 instead? I couldn't really find any
>recommendations one way or the other in the archives.
>
>Thanks for any input.
>
>Jens

Doesn't matter whether you use FC2 or 3 - firstly, you cannot (at
present, I believe) use the RPM's to install a DVB Mythtv installation,
as the RPM's are not compiled with the use dvb tag.  So, to setup Mythtv
with DVB-T you have to compile your own.  You can, however, use the
RPM's to grab all the pre-reqs for Myth to make your compilation easier.

To setup DVB-T, follow Jarods guide to grab the RPM's, then follow
Martin Smiths guide (http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html)
to get DVB-T compiled and working on Myth.  If you are using the new
Conexant chipset, then follow my guide, which details the changes needed
to Martin's to get the card working:
http://www.helkit.com/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/Main/MythTVDVB-TAndConexantNotes

Hope that helps,

Cheers,