[mythtv-users] Newbie Question: Good arguments for FC3?

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:06:23 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've been thinking about building a MythTV Box with a DVB-T card
(WinTV Nova-T) and a GeForce w/ TV-Out for quite some time now, and
just recently I got my hands on an old Compaq Deskpro PIII 650 that
should be a nice starting point for using Jarod's excellent HOWTO.

I've been following the recent discussions about problems people are
having to get MythTV to run on FC3. I'm not a complete Linux newbie
(worked with it as a perl programmer for several years, set up some
SuSE boxes years ago, as well), but I'm not big on system-level
details and I don't really want to make my first MythTV effort any
more difficult than it has to be.

I don't want to go the KnoppMyth route since its non-standard paths
seem to be a hassle when trying to upgrade stuff later on, but I
wonder whether there is any benefit in choosing FC3 over FC2.

So: Is there anything that makes FC3 worthwhile for a DVB-T box or
should I just go ahead and use FC2 instead? I couldn't really find any
recommendations one way or the other in the archives.

Thanks for any input.

Jens